Project Masiluleke employs mobile phones and other technologies as high impact, low cost tools, in the fight against HIV/AIDS in South Africa. Addressing the HIV/AIDS crisis in South Africa is extremely challenging due to a number of interconnected factors. The social stigma associated with HIV/AIDS keeps many from pursuing HIV testing or treatment. Public communications programs are often not adequate and send out confusing signals.
As a result, even though ART (Anti-Retroviral Treatment) has become available, it is estimated that less than 5% of the SA-population has been tested for HIV. Of those who are HIV positive, only 10% are currently receiving ART, leaving the remaining 90% infected, untreated and infectious to others. In this context, mobile phones hold tremendous untapped promise as a tool for public engagement around HIV.